Tyler * Carly * Makena * Jade

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Tolerance!



I strongly believe that people are entitled to an opinion. I already posted my thoughts on Prop 8 recently. I am still an avid Yes voter. I have a sticker on my car and that's that. I also believe in tolerance. I have nothing against people who will vote No as long as they understand ALL the facts like I do. A few things have come to my attention that have made my heart a little sad. I lose sleep over this stupid election and I will be the first to admit that I will be G-L-A-D, glad when it's over! But I also know that it is my right and duty as an American citizen to vote and to tolerate others opinions. At our church this last Sunday one of our leaders told us about problems that we're having with our signs. Maybe you've seen the yellow Prop 8 signs on the corners around the rest of the other election signs...or maybe NOT! He said that someone is designated to put these signs up every morning and then take them down again at night because people have been taking them. He said that he put 50 signs in their designated location and went to pick them up later and there was not one left. NOT ONE!!! Just today I was stopped at a stop light and saw a sign on the corner. You go little sign I said. And just as I thought it a group of teenage track girls run by it and one of them pulls the sign out and throws it on the ground. WHY?
Like I said... TOLERANCE. It's funny because this proposition is all about equal rights. We need to allow same sex couples to get married. That's their right. But where's our right to defend our beliefs? If our signs are thrown down at every turn and we are not allowed a voice in the matter where do we go from there? It's just a thought that has kept me awake at night. What kind of people are these that vote NO? They push for rights, but then ours are marked as discrimination. What is our world coming to? November 4th please just get here and then let us go from there!

2 comments:

Heather said...

oh Carly, I am right there with you. All this political crap (pardon the language) is making my head spin. I am so sick of it. jed is way into it and keeps me VERY informed along with many others. I love to know what's going on but I don't know what happens to people during the elections. They just get SO mean and SO one sided. Why can;t we all just get along. :) Hang in there girl.

MC Boone said...

Ooh girl, I feel your frustration! I am not even living in CA, therefore I cannot vote, but I totally agree with what you said and it is sad that some want tolerance but are not willing to give it in return. One quote I have heard that really struck me is "Seek to understand before you seek to be understood" (I do not know who said that) and it is SO true- I think you understand that, having read your post. I agree that Nov. 4th needs to get here so this can hopefully be resolved. Yes on 8!!!